My son-in-law bought me a compost tumbler, a JK 270 to be exact! He has begun selling these Swedish-designed compost tumblers in the US and asked me to blog about my experience with using the tumbler, in hopes to best understand his customers. In this blog, I’ll be sharing what it was like to set it up when I got the composter, how it works, what I found to be challenging and what things were convenient about it. For the record, I have no previous experience with composting, this is completely new for me. I’m excited!

My son-in-law, Niklas’ hope is that this blog will help others who want to learn more about composting, and also for this to be a place where they can discuss their thoughts and share their experiences.

With that said, let’s get ready to TUMBLE!!

October 26, 2010

It’s Here!



On September 13th, I got a knock at my door. It was the FedEx guy dropping off 2 boxes that were sent to me from The Composting Warehouse, Inc. Inside was an instruction manual and the components of a JK 270 compost tumbler. ”JK” stands for Jora Kompost (spelled with a ”K” in the Swedish language, Sweden being where it is designed). The product had some assembly required (like all things Swedish!), and the instructions were included. In the beginning, I put the side panel on the wrong sides, so a good tip would be to make sure the green-painted sides of the panels are facing outwards on each side of the tumbler. One more small detail I realized was that I put part A in the instructions on backwards, so once I turned it the right way, it sat nicely. 


I guess a good rule of thumb when assembling things is to just take your time and really follow each step on the manual, even if it’s not a complicated assembly process. I put it together with one other person and I think that made it easier, but I don’t think it’s impossible to do it on your own.

The entire tumbler weighs about 86 pounds when empty, which although a little heavy, it felt sturdy. I placed it next to my trash cans in the back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment