My son-in-law bought me a compost tumbler, a JK 270 to be exact! He has begun selling these Swedish-designed compost tumblers in the US and asked me to blog about my experience with using the tumbler, in hopes to best understand his customers. In this blog, I’ll be sharing what it was like to set it up when I got the composter, how it works, what I found to be challenging and what things were convenient about it. For the record, I have no previous experience with composting, this is completely new for me. I’m excited!

My son-in-law, Niklas’ hope is that this blog will help others who want to learn more about composting, and also for this to be a place where they can discuss their thoughts and share their experiences.

With that said, let’s get ready to TUMBLE!!

October 26, 2010

Week Two, fruit flies

At my 2-week point of using the compost tumbler, I got a little concerned. It seemed like the process of breaking down the waste was going a little bit slow, and I noticed a few fruit flies in.

 I called Niklas (The Composting Warehouse representative in the States) and he assured me that this was a very normal experience during the first week or two before the microorganisms in the mixture begin to really go to work. He explained that when the compost tumbler fills up a little more, and also when it starts to build warmth inside, that fruit flies will not linger in there and I will soon see a cleaner, more hygienic compost. I was told that when starting to fill up an empty chamber in the tumbler (there are 2 chambers, so that while one is working, the other has produced compost ready for the garden), I could put some already made compost in there to help the process start more quickly.

This being the first time I am making the compost, I didn’t have any to do that with, but I did put about 4 handfuls of grass clippings in there, and after 4 days there were no signs of flies. I noticed that the temperature inside the chamber had also increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment