My son-in-law bought me a compost tumbler, a JK 270 to be exact! He has begun selling these Swedish-designed compost tumblers in the US and asked me to blog about my experience with using the tumbler, in hopes to best understand his customers. In this blog, I’ll be sharing what it was like to set it up when I got the composter, how it works, what I found to be challenging and what things were convenient about it. For the record, I have no previous experience with composting, this is completely new for me. I’m excited!

My son-in-law, Niklas’ hope is that this blog will help others who want to learn more about composting, and also for this to be a place where they can discuss their thoughts and share their experiences.

With that said, let’s get ready to TUMBLE!!

October 26, 2010

Week Three, No odor

This is so exciting! I Inside of the warm, insulated chamber, the mixture is really starting to have a dirt-like appearance! The compost looked a little wet the other day, so I added some extra wood pellets to soak it up. It seems to be working away in there! 
One thing that is surprising to me is the lack of odor. You would think that all of those banana peels, orange rinds, chicken fat, etc. would inevitably create some type of an odor, at least from the small air holes on the sides, but not at all!
I am impressed!

1 comment: